Saturday, January 21, 2006

Goapele

In 1993, I was a camp counselor for Goapele at the 1990's incarnation of the Encampment for Citizenship, (which was nowhere as cool and subversive as it sounds in this description when Eleanor Roosevelt founded it.) Goapele is a up and coming r&b sensation, whose poster I saw walking down 14th street this evening. I heard her sing Sweet Honey in the Rock in a big meeting full of teenagers and cooked dinner with her at her house after the summer program where I was working was over. I remember her wearing white socks and tennis shoes and being, like, fourteen. Nothing like seeing your former camper in a big poster on the streets of new york to make you feel inconsequential.

Updated to correct typos and add the EFC link.

2 comments:

starpower said...

Were it not for your leadership that pivotal summer in her life, do you REALLY think she'd be where she is today? I think someone should be patting themselves on the back here...

Claudia said...

Let's not get carried away here.