Monday, January 30, 2006

Bad commercials

Yahoo keeps running little banner trailers for "Flight 93," the movie about September 11 that is coming on tonight on A&E. I know that this might be an debatable point, but I do not think the are ready for movies about this. It kind of makes my blood boil, actually. At the end of the day, a TV movie is a commercial venture. People make money off it. The network gets advertising dollars. The advertisers get sales. All the uses and abuses of 9/11 (The terror alert, Rovian claims about Democrats softness on terror to manipulate elections, the war in Iraq, and the disastrous consequences of subsuming FEMA under the newly created Department of Homeland Security following Hurrican Katrina) cheapen the acknowledgements and observances of 9/11 for me. It all, ultimately, feeds into jingoistic bluster. I do believe that the filmmakers took pains to make the film believable and into a worthy tribute to the people who died on the flight, but it is still a tv movie.

I'm just not ready.

1 comment:

starpower said...

I couldn't agree more. I think it's in completely poor taste for the reasons you mention and more.