Monday, May 23, 2005

Some noise and then some quiet

Saturday around noon I took the subway downtown and was entertained by this baseball team from Washington Heights that was enthralled with this Italian woman who was on the train. They all got on at 168th street and I heard one of the men ask her something in Spanish. When she told him she didn't speak Spanish, she was from Italy, their ears all kind of perked up and they all started asking her questions. What followed was like a talent show. Between 145th and 59th they literally took turns dancing and rapping to impress her. She was staying with friends in Washington Heights, she explained and she made the error of saying she didn't like the men in that neighborhood, she like didn't like Dominicans, with a little wrinkle of her nose. That provoked a series of guffaws and hoots, and pleas from the guys in the group that were Dominican.

They were charmed by her, I was charmed by them being charmed by her. I couldn't tell if she liked the attention or was actually a little overwhelmed by it. That kind of thing all the time would be tiresome, I imagine.

The rest of the weekend was quiet. I did have some communication with my ex, which frankly was just very sad all the way around. I go for weeks at a time where I am totally resolved and know its for the best and then suddenly out of no where, I can't stand the fact that I can't talk with him. (But I really can't talk with him now, that would be a disaster.) I had no idea it would be this hard to let go of someone. Even with the full acknowledgement of everyone involved that there isn't any way that it would work out.

No comments: