Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Events Planning

Twice a year, in my job, I am responsible for putting together a meeting for a group of creative and humble people that receive money or have received money to do interesting and important things. I'm lucky to have responsibility and trust and somewhat free reign in how these meetings happen. I have a relatively generous budget to do this and a staff person devoted to helping me make everything happen the way we would like it to. I like these people and enjoy seeing them and derive a great deal of gratification from producing an event that is helpful and interesting. It's the best possible circumstance under which to have such a role.

These meetings, however, make me a tad bit insane. I am somewhat of a mess the day before and the day after. I obsess about the finer details of the conversation, the catering, the quality of the moderator, you name it. After all is said and done, I often find myself in the most inconvenient places in a puddle of my own tears. I once broke down in the middle of a party, in fact it was a salsa/tango themed holiday event at the United Nations . My boyfriend at the time whisked me out there and onto a bus heading towards home and very helpfully pointed out that it could be worse. I could work at the sporting goods store that we were driving past.

That is all to say that this is one of those weeks where I have this particular meeting that is crazy making. And I am starting to feel the crunch.

No comments: