Monday, June 28, 2004

Grrr

A few updates on the housing front. As one might expect, nothing is going as planned:

I have still not occupied my apartment. The lady who sold me the apartment reported that she was unable to move last week. Hopefully tonight she will be out and I can do the final, final inspection.

I didn't sell much of anything at my yard sale. The little old ladies who go to yard sales came, but I didn't have much of what they were looking for. There was one man, who announced when he walked in the door that he had four cats and smelled like it, who accused me of false advertisng for having said I had books. In my defense, there were about 20 paperbacks that were for sale, which seems to me to qualify as "books," but he said it wasn't what he was looking for and he had gotten up early for nothing. To my great satisfaction, I did sell my boombox with the broken cd player, the serving plate with the strawberries on it, (although no one was interested in the matching dinner/dessert plates,) an Ikea bookshelf, which I bought from someone else two years ago, and most of the ugly jewelry given to me by a particular aunt over the years. I think the fact is that I mostly have junk, and most everyone else in my neighborhood has their own junk, which serves as a disincentive to acquiring more junk, no matter how cheap. All the stuff I am getting rid of is in a big tower in the middle of my living room.

So there is nothing particulary interesting to report except that I have verified that moving is one of the most dislocating activities in the world. It's exciting and all, but very, very trying.

No comments: