Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Been Breaking Down

My musical obsession this weekend is Freedy Johnston's song "Bad Reputation." I bought a CD by him in a record store in San Francisco's Mission District when I was there a few weeks ago.

Before I get into this, can I interject that New York doesn't have any good used-alternative record stores? There is virgin, borders, tower, yawn... This record store, I can't remember the name, but it is on Valencia, near the 16th street BART stop, had the coolest little reviews written in ink on all the cd's that the owners thought were excellent, and it was the best buying guide to music I knew I should probably know but don't.

Anyhow, the Freedy Johnson album ("This Perfect World") was in the used section, and I thought, "I don't know this guy, but I think he is kind of folky-alternative or country and I probably would like it and hell its ten dollars." Actually for the more loyal readers among you, this was the same used disc section in which I found Achtung Baby. I said, "Hell it's ten dollars" on several occasions that day.

I had definitely heard this song before on the radio or some such. (I can't remember where, I think when I heard it I thought it was Weezer. That's probably sacrilige to someone.) It's a nice song, a little folky, a little poppy, but it has a little hook that gets under your skin. It's one of those songs that lends itself to being on the soundtrack to the movie of my life. The lyric that got to me was "Suddenly I'm down in Herald Square/ looking in the crowd your face is everywhere."

I think I am a sucker for New York City-based love songs. It relates to the soundtrack of your life thing.

No comments: