Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Chaotic

There's been a lot going on. I did close on the house. I had the first walk-through the night before, but it's hard to do a real walk through when there are clothes and furniture everywhere, so I have to do a more thorough check of things this weekend. Loyal newyorquina readers will know that although I have closed, I do not yet have occupancy, because the seller is not able to move out until Saturday. The whole situation makes me a bit nervous, because after all is said and done it's going to be me which has to deal with anything that has to be fixed or changed. Being as it's my house now.

Closing was a funny experience. It's lots of people sitting in a room signing papers, passing things back and forth, everyone is the tiniest bit on edge, but at the same time it's the most mundane set of tasks. People exchanging checks, signing papers, asking questions.

I started packing officially yesterday. I have scheduled a yard sale, although that is only as good as the publicity I do, so there are plans to paper the neighborhood in fluorescent flyers starting this evening.

I have to-do lists, and a schedule of deadlines. I have obtained recommendations for movers, floor sanders, and insurance brokers. I had a bad moment in the middle of the closing when I informed my lawyer that I had not yet gotten homeowners insurance, but I was able to get that into place pretty easily. As complicated as it all seems, I am reminded that actually it's cake compared to how buying a house, like a real house with a roof and a yard and a sewage system, would be.

It is all very exciting and yet anxiety-inducing. In the midst of this there is an deeply ideological and very personally-felt culture war raging between myself and the guy I go out with AND I am starting a job search. I spent Sunday writing the first cover letter.

In the midst of all this, I am managing the thirteen week excercise plan pretty handily. As of today's workout I will be in to the third week. I have a list of scheduled days for working out on my refrigerator at home and in my office. When I do something, I fill in the space provided. So far that is very helpful. Also, I signed up for Weight Watchers online. This is something I resisted all through the times I was going to WW meetings, but lately, I have been more conscious of large meals, eating to assuage stress, and the tiniest bit of softness where before I was more angular. So I feel the need to start monitoring myself a little bit more. In a time of great flux, it might be comforting to implement control over one thing I often feel like I can't control, which is eating.

No comments: