Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Whirlwind Romance

So, at first it was just a modest flirtation between me and her. It began with shy glances and pleasing looks. As the weekend wore on, I noticed aspects of her character and personality that I could imagine coming to feel like home. At the end of the weekend I was wrenched away from her, but in my heart I made a promise to return.

I´m infatuated with the city of Cuenca. She is charming and gracious and accomodating. She offers brewed coffee and Italian food, walks along bubbling little rivers, and the promise of a lovely apartment in the colonial city center. The matchmaking process is still in its early stages. (The matchmakers being the Peace Corps.) But the initial meetings showed promise of an accord that is beneficial for everyone.

Now if this were to work out, this would not be your typical Peace Corps assignment. Chance are that eventually I would have a hot shower and a refrigerator. I have already heard other volunteers scoff at the possibility of someone being placed in Cuenca. (¨That´s a hard posting,¨ someone said this weekend, with disdain.) Hell. I´m thirty-three. I didn´t come here to rough it necessarily. I leave it up to the fates to decide.

5 comments:

starpower said...

I'm totally with you--it doesn't have to be hard or sacrificial to be important and useful (and fabulous for you!).

I think you and Cuenca sound like a lovely couple!

Anonymous said...

that´s what i´m talking about! i´m all for you falling in love, girl. then it would be easy to see you.

Anonymous said...

You had me going there with your falling in love comment. I was even thinking, god, she shouldn't be moving so fast! And so publicly! So unlike Claudia. Hope that works out for you! We'll have to hang out there regardless.

Anonymous said...

cuenca is lovely, isn't she? and we know fresh brewed coffee is not something to take for granted here!

jillypickle said...

hey, even *i* don't have a full frig!