Monday, October 23, 2006

The tagline say "Real Estate", so...

So i just moved in to my new apartment and out of the house/hostel where I was living before. I had a sad farewell with Doña Cecilia and the family that lives in the house, but living on my own, where a bunch of gringo Peace Corps volunteers aren´t constantly popping up and wanting me to go eat pizza with them, should help out with my Spanish and the ever challenging issue of cultural integration.

So, the apartment: First the good things. It´s down the road from where I work. It has big windows on three sides of the house. It has a big open kitchen and wood floors. It has the built in closets they have here, which saves me having to buy a bureau. It has a balcony. They installed an electric shower, which is way better than ancient, potentially leaky gas powered shower that that was there before, its adjacent to an Olympic swimming pool and a wine store, and I have a guest room. The downsides: It´s on a four lane street, which is a main thoroughfair for buses. It has lots of cheesy eighties touches, like a wooden banister and rather silly tile. It has an ugly bathrom. It has low ceilings. It was when I was weighing this particular desventaja that my friend Julie burst out laughing and told me I was such a New Yorker.

Well, yes.

I remembered that in los Estados Unidos I had mad high ceiling and no room for more than four people at any given time, so I can invite everyone over to my low ceilinged apartment and we can kind of crouch while we knosh over some elaborate spread on the open counter.

Yeah, this is what the Peace Corps is all about. Sacrifice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

knosh. ha! can´t wait.

Kathryn Frances Walker said...

been meaning to leave you more comments but haven't gotten around to it. love this entry, would very much like to buy you a six-pack in your low-ceilinged 80s loveliness. this is from kathryn.