Sunday, October 15, 2006

Honestidad

The day before we swore in, our Country Director told us that the next person who lost their cell phone, or had it robbed from them, might be sent home the make an example to other volunteers on carelessness. Last Friday, I was really pleased to realize that on the way home from the Supermaxi, I had left my phone in a taxi. There was just no other explanation and nothing to be done. When I called my phone, no one picked up, and I just had to resign myself to the fact that it was gone and I was going to have to go through the costly and painful process of replacing it through the Peace Corps. On Sunday I got a message from another volunteer, saying that someone had called them from my cell phone and wanted to return it to me. I should call my phone at noon the next day and be prepared to meet the person in front of the Supermaxi the next day in the afternoon. I immediately started to run a 102 degree temperature. The next day I could barely walk 3 blocks to the bank. The family I lived with went into action and promised to call my phone and go and collect it from whomever might have it. But no one answered when we called and it seemed like my phone might be within my grasp, but not to be returned. I rallied for long enough to go to the Supermaxi on the off chance that that cab driver in whose cab I left it was a) the person who had it and b) waiting in front of the store.

And so it was. The minute we got to the store the lone taxi in front of the stand looked awfully familiar. He had my cell phone and the pen I had been using in the cab and he returned both to me. He did not know how to use it so that was why he never answered it, but his daughter had called someone in my address book. So for a $15 reward, I lucked out big time.

I retired home happily to run another high fever and sing Fleetword Mac songs while curled up in my sleeping bag on the couch. Much better now, though. No fever and walking without a limp.

1 comment:

jillypickle said...

you ain't in kansas anymore, kid! wow, the cabi returned your phone. bless ecuador.