Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Countdown

This week is off to a good start. Stuff to do in the office. My ankle is noticeably better. Other highlights, or things worth mentioning at least, include

5. Cheap pirated DVD´s - You can get pretty much anything you want for $2 or less. I´ve been saving this indulgence for a raining day, but have my sights set on watching the Big Lebowski 15 times during the next year.

4. Election Fever - The Ecuadorian presidential election is in less than three weeks and there are huge posters everywhere you go. Campaign posters are never quite as slick here as they are in the states and I often feel sorry for some of the people who have patently frightening pictures of themselves plastered all over buildings. Also there are truck all over blasting popular pop music draped in the colors of one party or another.

3. Tortillas - Not like Mexican tortillas and not like the little potato pancakes that also have this name here. They are sort of like savory pancakes and you eat them with morocho which is like a sweet milk and rice drink.

2. Flowers - They grow them here and Cuenca has a beautiful little flower market just off the main park in the center. I bought flowers for the family I live with, a ginormous bunch of alstromeria for $2. Once I get my own place I am looking forward to getting flowers every week.

1. Nickname - Growing up I hated most inversions of my name, Claudette, Claudine, and especially Claude. I since mellowed to them and now I kind of like them. I have special Ecua nicknames here, which first I tolerated and now have come to appreciate. My host family in Cayambe called me Claudie, and folks here, the call me Clau. It makes me feel all cute.

UPDATED TO ADD: To be clear, I am still very opposed to Claude.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Clau,

I want to try these patties when I ma there.

L ;)

Anonymous said...

wednesday i got stuck on the ecovia for like 20 minutes while one of the candidates blocked off the road so the parade of honking cars could go by. everyone on the bus was visibly annoyed and i kept thinking, "why would i vote for you if you won't let me get to work?!?!"

i'm glad you had a better week this week.

Anonymous said...

wednesday i got stuck on the ecovia for like 20 minutes while one of the candidates blocked off the road so the parade of honking cars could go by. everyone on the bus was visibly annoyed and i kept thinking, "why would i vote for you if you won't let me get to work?!?!"

i'm glad you had a better week this week.