Tuesday, July 20, 2004

¿George Bush es un malvado, no?

It´s been a quiet week at newyourquina because I am now in Spain on vacation. I´ve been pleased to find my first week was wonderful. My spanish has served without fail in almost every instance. I started out in Madrid, which is lovely, big modern city that is emminently walkable and full of detailed accessible maps. Also, socializing happens around lots of different visits to restaurants and bars in which you eat tapas, which apparently is my preferred mode of eating. Also, as in Italy, you can step into any bar at any time of day and order espresso, usually for a euro. Unexpected difficulties have so far been limited to finding shaving cream for women, apparently Spanish women depilate almost exclusively.

Other highlights have included:

Visiting the gay district, Chueca, and perusing the queer spanish fiction. I ended up buying a book by Alaska. Also, I found great shoe stores, which budget and time prevented me from taking full advantage of.

Croquettes. These are potato with pieces of ham mixed up in them, and we were taken to one restaurant which had the best croquettes in Madrid apparently.

Sidre from Asturias. In my mind I have dubbed the Irish part of Spain, although I´m sure that is not particularly accurate, but they have cider and bagpipes, I´m told

Travelling with a partner. This is the first vacation I have ever taken with anyone I am dating, and I have to say that it beats hiking around Guatemala by myself hands down. I have had way less time to sit and write in my journal, which I think is probably a good thing

So that is where I am. I´ll post more updates soon, but you get the idea.



No comments: