Thursday, July 01, 2004

Doldrums

It's incredibly quiet in my office, half of my program's staff is out on vacation. It inspires a general listlessness and torpor in me. I'm fighting it vigilantely, making lists of summer projects, trying to enthusiastically plunge into each task with renewed vigor. I'm actually trying to avoid reading any blogs, because I find myself taken away by that for periods of time that are entirely too long.

So, back to the task at hand.

Oh, but before I go, an update on the housing front. I have occupied the apartment and gotten a full sense of just how much work has to be done on it. I have noted, as I failed to in three successive previous viewings, that there is no bathroom door, only a failing accordion-folding plastic barrier. This is something that I can deal with later though, unlike the floors. I have made tentative arrangement to get the floors sanded and have discovered that management companies are generally highway robbers and scoundrels. If you blow your nose and ask for a tissue they want to charge a processing fee. It's quite audacious. The sad thing is that I am going to end up paying it, like all New Yorkers I am a slave to the real estate rat race.

No comments: