Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Pasos

After my little victory on Sunday at the dance studio, I suffered a smack-down. Last night, I was back at the Salsa Workout Class at the Y, where we did some samba. Usually half way through the class we all go to the side of the classroom and dance forward across the floor, in some combination. I hate this part, because its harder to follow the teacher and it's too easy to bump into someone. It is visually arresting to see ourselves in the mirror when we all get it sort of right, this crowd of students dancing behind our teacher a la Fame. The smack-down came when had to do this particular samba step that was totally complicated. I couldn't do it, I couldn't even pretend to do it. I could sort of struggle through some of the other parts with some flailing arm motions that approximated what my teacher was doing, but this one step I just gave up on. The, later in the class when we went back to salsa, there was another little step that involved a hip roll, which also seems to be beyond me. I hate how ill-coordinated my body it. I just hate it. Also, I got a haircut which I'm not too fond of. It's that kind of week.

1 comment:

Claudia said...

You should try it, you never know you might have a hidden affinity for it!