Thursday, October 09, 2008

At Rest

I have neglected this space terribly. There was vacation time in Amsterdam, very lovely. I rented a bicycle and made the Dutch angry by stopping in confusion in the middle of bike lanes, ate lots of cheese, bread, stroopwafflen (perhaps the most delicious cookie in the world) and went and saw cows and sheeps and medieval Dutch towns.

Now I am in Cambridge, staying with a friend who has space for a stowaway in between jobs. And after lots of questioning and wondering what will happen, I will be returning to New York. I will be going back to my little apartment, to lots of old friends that I am reconnecting with. I return to the A train, to the pull of bacon, egg and cheese on a roll, and to the temptation of pizza eaten in transit balanced on two greasy paper plates. To Central Park and the Hudson River, and a Manhattan, as Andy says, full of little Carrie Bradshaws, Whole Foods, Crate and Barrel, and newly built high rise luxury condos.

Today I started reading up on various topics that seem like they may be useful in the new position: fundraising, non-profit management, communications. I think more than any of the content digested, doing some kind of preparation helps psychogically by doing something, anything to not feel blindsighted by the arrival of normal nine to five life once again.

I mean even on my very busiest day in Cuenca, I took an hour for lunch. Fifteen minutes to eat at my desk while I answer my email is the type of reality check I am bracing for.

But of course, given the events of the last couple weeks, one will not complain about being busy with a new job.

No comments: