Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Erik speaks in metaphors

Quotes of the evening with my American friend who lives in Amsterdam, which involved several bottles of wine:

"Republicans are Shoney's. Democrats are Chili's. I would way rather eat at a Chili's than in Shoney's but they aren't really all that different."

On the subject of whether I am politically correct or not: "If you were a book you would be a Jane Smiley novel."

I later pointed out if he had really wanted it to sting, he would have said I would be a Barbara Kingsolver novel.

En español, dios mió no tengo idea si los comentarios traducirán o no.

Erik, mi amigo gringo que vive en Amsterdam dijo después de mucho vino:

“Los Republicanos son Shoney’s [una cadena de restaurantes bastantes comunes.] Los Demócratas son Chili’s, [otra cadena un que tendria un poco mas variedad (por ejemplo: fajitas.)] Prefiero comer en Chili’s pero los dos no son tan diferentes.”

Sobre el sujeto de que si soy políticamente correcto o no: “Si fueras una novela, serías una novela de Jane Smiley.”

Y lo que le dije es que si el quisiera realmente lastimarme, el diría que yo seria una novela de Barbara Kingsolver.



Apologies to each of these very fine novelists. I would love to be one of their books.

1 comment:

Libby said...

The Shoney's/Chili's comparison is about the funniest thing I have heard in a long while...I may have to use that.