Wednesday, January 30, 2008

John we barely knew ye

John Edwards pulls out of the presidential Democratic primary today. I´m sad. I´m sorry. I didn´t vote for him, having an absentee ballot which I sent in two weeks ago, but I still would have liked to see him hang in there. I think his candidacy did a lot, brought the question of universal health coverage, poverty, employment, Guatanamo, rendition, and accountability for the horrific damage the Iraq war has done to our country and to Iraq. He staked out certain positions that I don´t know that Hillary or Obama would have touched in the same way if it weren´t for him.

There was lots of silly stuff too. The haircut. The size of his house. But that will get filed away for the a couple elections from now, as a reference point for some other unlucky presidential left-leaning candidate. I worked for the Dukakis campaign and never heard much about that freaking helmet and tank incident until this century.

No comments: