Saturday, November 04, 2006

Mi Cuenca Canta

It´s the independence of Cuenca and there are big parties everywhere the streets are filled with people going everywhere, and restaurants and bars are all having events. There are gringoes and Ecuadorians everywhere.

My halloween costume was a success, it was fun having thick long hair and wearing big silver hoop earrings. Several people didn´t even recognize me, which I judged to indicate success. There were too many Peace Corps volunteers sleeping in my living room for too many days, but other than that it was fun.

I bought a refrigerator today, as my apartment didn´t come with anything. It´s deceptive here, you have big fancy stores with electronics and appliances on sale, but its still different from home. In order to buy anything of value in Ecuador you have to use your cedula or passport number, and for some reason my passport wouldn´t work in their system so they found a way to sidestep it in the computer. But subsequently they forgot to ask my address and I walked out of the store without giving it to them. When I called them to correct the situation, I found myself in the middle of a six lane road squished between an indigenous family selling tomatoes and a yellow taxi cab yelling my address into the phone over the noise of a local musicians that were performing in front of the big market complex. That´s Ecuador. If it didn´t come tomorrow when its expected, then that will remind me of home though. Deliveries in New York never come when they are supposed to. There it makes me crazy but here I am much more zen about it.

No comments: