Monday, November 06, 2006

I have never been a calm blue sea

OK so the first thing to say is that Fleetwood Mac´s Storms is the prettiest song ever written. It´s a sweet little song, but when you look up the lyrics, you realize its about living through devastating, bone breaking heart break.

Every night that goes between/I feel a little less
As you slowly go away from me/This is only another test
...
Every hour of fear I spend/My body tries to cry
Living through each empty night/A deadly call inside

Today I found myself helping out in a lamaz class in a hospital near the Feria Libre, a big market in the southwest corner of the city. I don´t know the first thing about childbirth so it was pretty impressive watching the girls (all younger than me by at least six years) learn how to stretch and breath. The street between the market and my neighborhood takes you through lots of houses, garages and home repair stores. It´s far from poor by Ecuadorian´standards, but it doesn´t have the seamlessness of the neighborhood to the east of me, which is lined with fancy restaurants where upper-middle class Ecuadorians eat. I couldn´t find the bus that goes from there to my house and I outwalked a huge, black thundercloud on my right, with the sun on my left. There was a double rainbow arching over the cathedral in the center of town, (yes I got pictures.) It seemed to fit with the tune in head, although these days I´m not heartbroken.

No comments: