Thursday, July 28, 2005

The Tennis Bracelet or the Guy?

Guest-blogging today is my friend Renee. The last time I saw Renee, she was head-over-heels infatuated with a new fellow. Today, Renee updates us on her life:

"New Fellow" is okay. We're in that awkward phase that happens after you've been dating almost two months in which the man feels compelled to pull away...We'd been doing great, talking or seeing each other pretty much every day, then a week ago he asked me if we were "too emotionally invested in one another" (whatever that means). I was calm, and said I respected his need to 'slow down' and think carefully about next steps etc. Then I went away for a week on business (and for the bridal shower) and didn't call him until the day after I got back. He seemed to really miss me and said "when do I get to see you?" I said we should talk about that. Briefly, I said it was stupid for me to invest any more time or and energy into this relationship if he wasn't sure about me. Then I said, "you know me, you know what I'm about and what I have to offer. If you decide you want to continue to pursue things,you should give me a call. Otherwise, let's just cool it." I also said that if he didn't have the common sense to want to be with me, then he obviously wasn't as smart as I thought he was (I seriously said that! He laughed.) All in all, it was a good conversation and I feel like I wrestled back some of the power that I had lost by him saying he wanted to slow down. That was Saturday. On Monday he called to see if we could go out. I said I was busy everyday during the week, and then he asked if he could pick me up after my salsa dancing class on Thursday night. I agreed. I'm not sure what this means seeing as he didn't profess that he was over this slowing down foolishness, but we'll see. At any rate, whatever happens, I will end up with a committed boyfriend OR a new piece of jewelry, and at this point either is fine with me. Jewelry tends to last longer. (Have I told you I buy myself a new piece of jewelry every time I get dumped???) This whole episode has made me a lot less smitten with him than I was in the beginning. So that's the update.

No comments: