Thursday, July 17, 2008

¿Como se dice Ouch en Castellano?

I took a Spanish test today to see what level of Spanish I achieved with two years. According to the woman who gave me the exam, I have a great level of fluency, a terrific vocabulary, but systematic and basic mistakes in the use of gender and verbs that prevent me from testing any higher than an Advanced Medium, which is what I started out at. So freaking depressing that while I was busy living, having arguments, making people laugh, educating people on the difference between sexuality and gender, the ways to protect themselves from HIV, developing a community based organization, and all the other crap I did, it didn't mean anything in terms of my official language capacity.

And it’s always the dumbest things that make you cry inconsolably in the in-between-times.

I need a Microsoft word grammar check for when I talk.

Tomé un examen de español hoy día para ver que nivel de español he logrado en estés dos años. Según la señora que me dio el examen, tengo un gran nivel de fluidez, un vocabulario increíble, pero errores sistemáticos y básicos sobre el uso de género y verbos que me previenen de recibir más que un Avanzado Medio, que es la calificación con que empecé. Lo encuentro que tan deprimente que mientras que yo estaba ocupada viviendo, discutiendo, haciendo que la gente se reían, educando la gente sobre la diferencia entre genero y sexualidad y las formas de protegerse de VIH y desarrollando una organización de base comunitario, y todo el resto de las cosas que hicieron, no significaba nada para mi capacidad de español oficial.

Y siempre son las cosas más tontas que te hacen llorar inconsolablemente en los momentos entre los momentos.

Necesito una revisión de la gramática de Microsoft Word para cuando hable.

¿O es cuando hablo?

Jeez.

No comments: