Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Just happy

Its a beautiful day, kind of like spring, if we had it here, which we really don´t. I had the nicest vibe going today, lots of work to do (including a workshop on HIV with pregnant mothers that I can´t quite get nailed down.) My friend Andy, who I love so dearly, visiting from the States. I have been introducing him to new friends from here and we have been drinking the bourbon he brought me and talking our heads off. When you see yourself through your friends´ eyes you suddenly become aware of the sense of peace and well-being that you give off when you are happy somewhere. And because we are both doing well, he in a PhD program with a high powered job and I living in Latin America, we have fallen into this comfortable little rhythm during his visit here, which is much too short. It is easy to be together, and it hasn´t always been like that.

Don´t freak out, Mom and Dad. After having lunch with him, I walked along the river from the center back to my office and thought to myself: what if I never went home?

3 comments:

Hannah said...

Hi, your friend Risa told me to check out your blog: I was in Peace Corps from 2004 to 2006, outside of Saraguro. I spent a lot of time in Cuenca, mostly lazing around the Cuenca House. It's great to have found your blog! It's like getting a little bit of Ecuador back. And yes, I think I could have lived in Cuenca for a long time.

Claudia said...

Hi Hannah,

Thanks for reading! You must have known Caitlin, who I talked to a lot about the Peace Corps before I came. I actually lived in the Cuenca house for two months. Please keep me posted on you too!

Hannah said...

Just check my blog! And say hello to Matt S, Joel, Sarah H, and anyone else from 93 and 94. And the Cuenca House family. I'll be back for a visit in January, so maybe I'll meet you then. i sort of knew Caitlin. She was almost gone by the time I was established in the Saraguro metro area. If you are interested in that kind of thing, the Inti Raymi festival in Saraguro is pretty cool.