Thursday, August 25, 2005

Backdated

I've avoided blogging for a few days, more than a few actually. Last weekend I was in Georgia for the wedding reception of my childhood friend. That was nice in some ways, but sort of wierd in others. Its funny how much you think about people that you spent so much time with as a child on a daily basis. It's nice when those people reach out to the adult you and you get a chance to see how people have changed and remained the same. In the end though, its a wierd excercise, because all the reasons why you ended up not staying in touch are still there. After awhile you run out of things to talk about, the parents of your friends are still crazy, and they are not your parents after all, so how did you get here eating lunch with them?

Of interest is that as part of the wedding festivites, I went to the oldest open saloon in the United States in Fernandina Beach, Florida and a couple days later was absently watching IFC, which showed Sunshine State by John Sayles. Two scenes between Edie Falco and Timothy Hutton are filmed in this saloon, just across from where I was sitting, so that was an unexpected bonus.

This week I have been on vacation in New York, but today I am going to Miami for the weekend. Unfortunately, it is looking like there are going to be rain all weekend. It's uncommonly lovely here in the city and I am flying into the eye of a hurricane. Nice. The friend's who I am travelling with are despondant [Edited to say, despondant, I first said desolate], and I've responded to that with invariable cheerfulness and good-naturedness, which is in truth probably really irritating. Denial can be a wonderful thing.

No comments: