Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Retrospect

Since I started writing this, I haven't been sure whether Newyorquina is serving a real purpose by encouraging me to write more, or whether I am producing anything with real content, substance, or wit. I had visions of becoming one-of-the-gang of the bloggers that I read regularly, but that hasn't happened, perhaps because my blog is boring, or perhaps because I'm not a regular comment-poster on most of them. But I kept doing it, because it was kind of fun to think of things to talk about and every once a while, someone would comment favorably on a post.

Yesterday, I read through the entire blog, and I realized that I am, in fact, happy with the purpose it has served so far. I started off awkwardly at the beginning and I noted an affect that is grating in some cases and pretentious in others. But over the months, it seems that I have gotten more comfortable with the format and with putting together relatively succinct entries on my day-to-day, mundane struggles and rants. In this setting at least, I'm not a good writer, because I don't have a good sense of how my own voice sounds to a reader and I don't yet have control over the tone, pacing, and affect that I employ. But I see progress and feel like the blog functions as a good excercise, for now at least, in articulating observations about my life, some of the issues I think about, and the outrageous shit that appears in the news.

No comments: