Thursday, March 03, 2005

Step Back Step

I've gone to the salsa workout class at the Y every couple weeks since the fall. (I think I mentioned falling over during the "bolero cooldown" here a few weeks ago.) Today I took myself to a Salsa class being offered in the lobby of the medical center. This introduced a new terrain of embarassment since it involved dancing with six or seven strangers, some of who salsa very well and others who are just as lost as me. I always feel terrible for imposing my incompetence on someone else. Feet go in the wrong place, the direction of turns is completely lost on me. And I do have a feeling that I can't really ever do any of it well. Like playing the piano: after thirteen years of piano lessons, even after six months of practice, I really never could manage to play a piece of music without mistakes. Apparently, I am a glutton for punishment.

No comments: