Wednesday, March 30, 2005

The second step is admitting you have a problem

Last night I went to a salsa party to dance and had to face some of my demons. I don't think people who know me would think I have social anxieties, necessarily. It turns out, however, if I walk into a room of pretty people who know how to dance, especially if that dance involves steps, I immediately become terribly intimidated and am convinced that I have intruded on a party to which I explicitely was not invited.

I held up pretty well though under pressure, I think. I did the little dance class and struggled through the practice sessions. When the real dancing started, I danced with a couple people on the dance floor, although I spent the whole time feeling guilty for imposing myself on my partners. The nice thing about the scene was that it was full of people who really love to dance and that was what they were there to do. So it was fun to watch and to chat with people.

No comments: