Thursday, September 23, 2004

Dead Leaves

Well clearly all that new leaf stuff didn't amount to much. It's been days since I posted and even longer since I wrote something substantive. New strategy now: Blogger is now my home page on my home computer. We will see how that works. I have in fact found several things worth drawing readers attention to, mostly relating the disintegrating situation in Iraq. Baghdad Burning is a very powerful, tell-it-like-it-is blog written by a woman living in Baghdad and she recently got her hands on a copy of Fahrenheit 9/11. She discusses the complicated and necessarily emotional reaction to watching American soldiers talk about the fighting, the mother of the soldier raging against the war that took her son, and the difficulty of sitting through two hours of George Bush.

She says:
  • "All in all, the film was… what is the right word for it? Great? Amazing? Fantastic? No. It made me furious, it made me sad and I cried more than I’d like to admit… but it was brilliant. The words he used to narrate were simple and to the point. I wish everyone could see the film. I know I'll be getting dozens of emails from enraged Americans telling me that so-and-so statement was exaggerated, etc. But it really doesn't matter to me. What matters is the underlying message of the film- things aren't better for Americans now than they were in 2001, and they certainly aren't better for Iraqis."

No comments: