Thursday, September 16, 2004

Crocodile Tears

I saw the spookiest pictures today across the street from my office. The man who sells old things on the sidewalk against the wall that hides the parking garage from Ninth Avenue, behind the Time Warner monstrosity, had these old photos of children that could have been taken in the twenties or thirties . The prints had been blown up to poster size photos and foam mounted so there were old images, at twice or three times their natural size in this entirely modern showcasing, mugging at me with expressions that were droll and sweet, in clothes that were entirely old-fashioned as I walked along to my meeting. I often wonder where those guys get the stuff they sell.

I'm dropping and thinking about heading off to sleep, but have been tortured by an emotionally needy cat the last several nights. My cat, who is patently not allowed in my bedroom after bedtime, has begun steady weeping outside of my door at 2:00 am the last several nights. When I don't come and open the door, he sticks his pitiful paw under the door, and jiggles the whole door. Although it seems like he is begging for food, this has happened only a few hours after his evening meal, and I speculate that its an cry for more intimacy, which unfortunately, I'm unable to give, as I'm extremely allergic to cat dander. I've tried a couple strategies to address this, but so far nothing seems to work. Tonight I got out the better cat food and relented with a larger portion, but I'm not too optimistic.

No comments: