Thursday, March 04, 2004

Very disturbing what is happening in Iraq this week. Didn't they think about how this might happen. Didn't all the anti-war critiques mention how regime change could destabilize the region? And George Bush said this was the best way to fight terrorism? Also, it was Salam Pax's book The Baghdad Blogger that got me to think about writing a blog. I am hoping to see a post from him soon.

See Lisa Duggan's article in the Nation for an alternative view on the marriage debate. For a good part of the 90's, I thought that that the gay marriage goal was elistic, and a bit too assimilationist for my taste, and diverted the movement from the goals of gay liberation. Changing the way that people think about sexuality and intimate partners for the better and all that. When the Massachussets decision came down and I realized that gay people could potentially just go out and get married, I got kind of carried away with the idea of how cool it could be. And then it was just too enjoyable to watch GW hit the panic button.

No comments: