Monday, September 26, 2005

Fascista

My plane ticket home for my father's birthday did work out, miraculously the ticket was still open and for a fee they were able to change it to this weekend. The whole e-ticket thing leaves too much room for error for cocky people like me who place too much stock in their organizational capacity.

Everyone has left the office for the day, and I put in a extra hour in at work, so I think I can spare a few minutes to blog. This weekend I went to the March on Washington against the war. I was impressed by the numbers, the focus of the programming, and the subdued yet determined tone of the participants. I think that United for Peace with Justice is maturing into a very effective organization, with the capacity to summon large numbers of people across class and cultural lines, and provide them with substantive information and commentary. From back in late 2002 and early 2003, when I did a few hours of volunteering with them, they have really developed their capacity to pull off a dramatic and large scale event with no apparent problems. International ANSWER, of which I am not as fond , co-sponsored the event, so they obviously deserve considerable credit as well. For more on the ANSWER and UFPJ dynamics, and the protest in general, see this article at Salon. com.

For instance, the speeches at the post-march rally and concert, did an excellent job of showing how the current administrations tax cuts, underinvestment in public spending, foreign policy and the disaster on the Gulf Coast are all linked together. [UFPJ also has a page of alternative funds for Hurricane Relief, for those of us who would like to support ensure our donation goes to do more than line the coffers of the Red Cross.]

Along with the 100,000 + anti-war protestors, there were a couple pockets of counter protestors, reported to be numbering 300, who of course have gotten roughly equal attention in the mainstream media. I have to say that that was the most troubling moment of the day for me. There was a big segment of them lining the front of the F.B.I. and I'm still chewing on my responses to some of their signs. One sign that I saw frequently said "Freedom isn't Free." Another one showed a sweet-faced, young G.I. and said, "If you want Peace, let them do our job." This idea bothers me so much, that the peace movement is somehow blocking the progression of freedom. How narrow must someone's view of the world be for someone to take the position that this war is a necessary evil in order to bring about peace and justice?

In another counter protest of sorts, which the NY Times covered today, Tom Wolfe, said this about his colleague, E.L. Doctorow, who declined to join Laura Bush for a breakfast and a dinner in conjunction with her National Book Festival, which was happening on the Mall at the same time:

"Ed Doctorow is a great guy, a wonderful writer, great company - he's just being fashionable, that's all," Mr. Wolfe said in a brief conversation at the Library of Congress dinner on Friday night. "In this country, there's nothing daring about going against the government."

What is wrong with people? Because our lives aren't put in danger by protesting the government, we are fashionable when we exercise our 1st amendment rights? I can't believe I ever read Bonfire of the Vanities, even in the 8th grade.

All in all, I found it one of the more gratifying protests I have been in. I was energized and happy to see that after two years of being ignored and maligned, people are still willing to come out and contribute their time and presence. It made me less pessimistic about the generally apathetic state of the country. There are a bunch of folks in it for the long haul, and they are getting smarter and better organized everyday.

My favorite sign of the day: "Frodo Failed: George Bush has the ring!"

No comments: