Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Better

Leaving and ending things is always an up and down. Last week I just wanted to be done with everything quickly, rip the bandaid off, and be on my way, but now I am settling in for the long goodbye, the despedidas, the nostalgia, the wierdness. This week at least I am embracing it and looking forward to lots of QT with everyone.

I took Aida and her kids and Marilyn and her baby to the hot springs in nearby BaƱos on Sunday. Her kids lasted much longer than us Peace Corps volunteers that went. We all flaked and went home early and the family stayed until the pools closed. I started to get really sad during the course of the afternoon. The event was planned as a despedida activity, and it signalled the real beginning of the end. In the course of marking your departure, you sometimes open up new and stronger bonds with the very people you are leaving. The kids were charming, Aida was super affectionate. I felt like something was starting and ending at the same time.

1 comment:

starpower said...

Funny how that closeness happens. There's something about the clearness of impending separation that crystallizes what people mean to you and also frees you up enough to express those feelings. Makes it a bit bittersweet, but still good memories to have racked up by the time you do say goodbye.

Good luck with it all.