Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Recording

I talked with Erik who said he thought I should be writing more about what is happening around me and less about the things that affect me personally. Nothing like the friend you have that makes poop jokes to shake you out of the agonized, confessional mode. He also pointed out that I don´t sound like my fabulous New York self, although I don´t remember being particularly so. I remember being anxious about a lot of mundane details and angry about ridiculous stuff too much of the time. Is there something about living in a foreign country that puts one off balance like that, or is it just me here in Cuenca?

3 comments:

jillypickle said...

it seems to me that what's happening around you and what affects you personally are not mutually exclusive. ditto on fabulous, anxious, and angry. but that's just my 2 cents...

Kathryn Frances Walker said...

um, what jillypickle said. i think that's the problem with blogs -- they're either about the surface, things things things, politicsnewstravelstylewhatever, or they're so deeply confessional and solipsistic (is that the word? i've never actually used that word before) that it's like the world doesn't exist outside of the person writing them. the rare ones are them that can straddle both and that's why i love newyorquina. i love that you even took the time to post your simpsons avatar. this is from kathryn frances.

Laure said...

It seems as though the blog is a kind of connection to the world outside. And right now, you are not in the headspace (like a journalist, for example) where you would be more in the mind of someone from the world outside reporting things from a broad perspective to other outsiders, you are more someone in the inside, looking to outsiders to give you the broad perspective you feel you are missing because you are so immersed in your present situation.

So the blog is more interactive than informational. I imagine it appeals more to people who know you than don't, but what is wrong with that? You are getting good use of it. Though you still haven't told me when you are coming back... :-)