Monday, June 04, 2007

Gym

I started working out three weeks ago. I re-joined the gym in my neighborhood and have been alternating shoulders/back, pecs, and legs. I´m often the only woman in the gym. And we are in Latin America where, even more than in the States, the gym is a male environ. This leads to lots of interactions that I take way more personally than I should. Why is the trainer having me work out with little four lb pink weights, for example? Or why is that man trying to help me unload these weights when its perfectly obvious I can do it myself? Why did that guy saludar a my male friend and not saludar a me. There is an art to being nice to girls who are (trying to) pump iron that walks the delicate line between being helpful to someone who may only have a vague idea what they are doing, and being a paternalistic jerk. But after one particular work out, where I didn´t feel good at all afterwards, and I hated everyone in the gym, I sternly told myself, like my shrink used to say, "well you just have to keep going until it gets more comfortable."

Did I go this morning, when I was awake at 6:45? No I did not. But I have hopes for tomorrow.

No comments: