Friday, February 16, 2007

Remiss

Since getting back from vacation things have been gratifyingly busy. First there was a glbt film festival. I didn´t have any particular role in it, except to have suggested a number of possible lesbian-themed films. The one they picked, I actually hadn´t seen, and which in all honesty, wasn´t particularly good. Films that were excellent included Georgie Girl and Muxe´s, a documentary on transvestites in Mexico. After that there was Miss Trans Ecuador, in which I was asked to serve as a judge. My organization was involved because we were trying to use it as an opportunity to do HIV prevention. We wrote questions relating to homophobia, self-esteem and HIV/AIDS issues and asked them as part of the competition. The acts were good, the tension was high. The other judges and I had to leave the room to deliberate. I´ve never in my life had a couple hundred people waiting with baited breath to see what I (and three other people) were going to say. The contestant from the province of Los Rios was the winner, and it was so exciting to go and congratulate this gorgeous being, with a smile to die for. I wish I had pictures, but cameras were banned because of privacy and confidentiality concerns.

In other news, I have kept up with calorie counting moderately well. The first week of course went great, and I lost four pounds. The second week, not so well, but I maintained. The third week I gained 1 kg. That´s 2.2 lbs for those of you who live in the dark ages where they actually use English measurements. And so on. I figure I am in it for the long haul though, at least three months. This week has been good so far.

Today I got Easter presents from my folks, they obviously weren´t taking any chances about things not arriving on time. I have to confess that it being the day after Ash Wednesday, I couldn´t actually wait to see what was inside. They bought me the Dixie Chicks new album, which is lovely, and a composer that I don´t know, but I am sure will enjoy

2 comments:

SergtPeppa said...

The Miss Trans Ecuador pageant sounds awesome! I am bummed there are no photos, but it sounds like it's for the best. Haven't heard the new Dixie Chicks Cd, but I imagine it's good...

Claudia said...

Nic, it turns out there was one person with a camera, and I did manage to get hold of the pictures. So I will share as I can.

I am writing a more extended account for El Clima, which is our volunteer publication. BTW your article about text messages in Ecaudor made me laugh out loud.