Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Santa Claus

So yesterday I got three slamming packages, two from my folks and one from Jenny, my childhood friend. The one from my folks had Ivory soap, the Pretenders greatest hits, Paul Mitchel hair product (no product placement here, folks) the Metropolitan Art Book and Desk Calender, which for the first time in fifteen years has something other than "Flowers" or "Impressionists" as its theme. Finally there were all three volumes of John Dos Passos´s U.S.A., which I asked for without realizing it is actually three separate books. I have already read a third of the first one, and its really cool. So much cooler than his rival and one-time friend Ernest Hemingway. OK, I have only actually read books about Hemingway, spedifically how much of a jerk Ernest Hemingway was, so take my commentary with a grain of salt. The point being, if you´re interested in American history or labor history so far this is a book for you.

The other package from Jenny was vintage Monopoly which the kids from downstairs have already discovered and taken full advantage of. Last night found me aggressively pitching to sell two railroads for Boardwalk, to Gabriela, who I think is like twelve, and later in the game I felt bad for taking advantage of her. And later in the game I just wondered when it was going to be over. These kids were way better sports than I ever was. Watching Jefferson, the older brother cheat so that his little sister wouldn´t lose brought back my faith in humanity, or at least kids.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Claudia,
Ahhh...Looks like things have not changed since the nights we stayed up till the early a.m. and of course you won:)-You wouldn't have it any other way. But it's nice to hear that "monopoly fever" has caught on with the kids. "Greed is good"-right?
Glad you're enjoying the gift-It brought a smile to my face when I saw it.
Love,
Jen

Claudia said...

I don´t know what you are talking about. I didn´t have to win. I was WAY LESS competitive than you were.

...

OK, yes I was probably a brat.

These kids I am playing with are much more grown up than me all the way around.