Monday, August 09, 2004

Home again

Well, I am back in New York. On my third day back at the office, getting caught up, taking stock of everything I have to do. The apartment is starting to look less like someone's storage space and more like my home, which is nice. Still lots of little organizing chores to do, lists to make spaces to measure, bookshelves to obtain, but definitely coming along.

The vacation was great, the travel was wonderful, I was completely away from the internet for two weeks entirely, just checked email in Barcelona and then at the airport hotel for a few minutes. Also, I left my cell phone at home, naturally and found great relief in knowing that the ringing sounds were never, ever for me.

In one hundred words or less, on vacation I went to thermal baths, stayed with a French family with a terrace and a mountain view, visited two abbeys, hiked my way to one of them, saw all the places where Salvador Dali lived and worked, including a visit to the Museo-Teatro Dali, which is something else. Stayed in a backpacker hotel in Barcelona that looked like it had furniture dating back to the Spanish Civil War, read The Forging of a Rebel by Arturo Barea (which I am going to talk more about later), which I recommend to everyone the tiniest bit interested in Spain, unions, anti-fascism, swam in the Mediterranean on several occasions and ate octopus, wonderful fish, jamon iberico, drank cheap rose wine, and many wonderful cold beers.

Now I am back, and am enjoying getting accustomed to the new home. Also, starting today, I got back to the thirteen week plan, from which I took a three week hiatus. I biked in to the office today, which was nice because I got to take advantage of a few sunny cool days that New York City sometime has during the summer.

No comments: