Monday, May 24, 2004

Biennial Madness

I did the morning commute by bicycle this morning. I need to do a loop around Central Park on the way home to make it worth my while. I have traded in the Huffy bike for something a little bit zippier. Being able to change gears without problems apparently makes your ride a bit easier.

I went and saw the Whitney Biennial yesterday. This was the second time I saw it and I got more out of it this time. This might have been for reasons that are pretty mundane like the fact that it was less crowded and I had better walking shoes on. I generally feel like I know pretty close to nothing about contemporary art. I would recognize the work of maybe eight contemporary artists, and might be able to identify thematic issues that I like, or that I think I understand, but I can't really speak with any understanding about technique or sensibility. (Sensibility. Is that the word I want to use there?) I still like going to art museums, but I generally feel like I get about 60% of what my friends who actually make or have studied art get.

No comments: